The Embassy of Japan in Belgium accepts applications for exchange programs offered in Japan. The programs for which applications are accepted during the course of a year are described below. Further details will appear on this page as the time for application approaches.
- Japan's Friendship Ties programs "MIRAI" (Mutual-understanding, Intellectual Relations and Academic Exchange Initiative) invites groups of promising young leaders who are expected to play an active role in international society and provides opportunity to have intellectual exchanges with Japanese students of the same generations and scholars.
- The program aims to deepen participants' understanding of Japan and its policy, to promote mutual understandings and thus build a basis for future friendship and cooperation between Japan and their regions.
- All participants are expected to share and disseminate their experiences and charms of Japan proactively through SNS and other media during / after the visit.
⇒MIRAI Alumni “VOICES”
The program in 2020-2021 is as follows:
Online pre-exchange program:
All participants are required to take online pre-exchange program for two days in April, prior to the program in Japan.
Program in Japan:
- 2nd Group (Theme: Politics and Security)
Program date: May 11, 2021 – May 19, 2021
- 3rd Group (Theme: Economy and Business)
Program date: May 18 2021 – May 26, 2021
Please apply for the program from the link below. Be sure that you have all the requirements. Application deadline is February 14, 2021.
Japan's Friendship Ties Programs MIRAI (kintoneapp.com)
<Qualifications for applicants>
All applicants for the Program must meet the following criteria.
- Applicants have Belgian nationality and do not have Japanese nationality.
- All applicants (University students or Graduate school students) belong to schools or institutions located in Belgium.
- Applicants do not have experience of residing in Japan for more than six months. Or had never be accepted Japanese government sponsored scholastic exchange programs before.
- Applicants must be aged 20 or over.
- Applicants must have a satisfactory command of English to discuss relevant topics with fellow participants.
- Applicants must be healthy physically and mentally.
- Applicants are ready to commit to share their experiences and knowledge of Japan during and after the program through Social Networking Services, mainly Facebook with Open privacy status concerning MIRAI experiences.
JET PROGRAMME>> Information Only (Application Closed)
The Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Program is operated by local authorities in conjunction with the Japanese Government and the Council of Local Authorities for International Relations (CLAIR).
There are three types of participation (* Please note that Belgian nationals are only eligible for a position of CIR as of now.):
- CIRs (Coordinators for International Relations) who work in communities on international exchange activities.
- SEAs (Sports Exchange Advisors) who promote international exchange through athletics.
- ALTs (Assistant Language Teachers) who provide language instruction in junior and senior high school classrooms.
The Program was started in 1987, and the first Belgian participant went to Japan on this Program in 1997 as a CIR. There is currently a CIR participant in Kanazawa city, Ishikawa prefecture.
Useful web sites about JET
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs:
Rani (CIR 2019 ~ Present)