VISA Important notice: 

Visits to the Consular Section For Visa Application e.a on appointment only

Guide for when you are feeling ill

Information on Local Call Centers

New Category Visa Information
(1) Highly skilled professional visaMore information
(2) Specified visa: Designated activities (Future creation individual, Spouse or Child of future creation individual)More information


Japan Visa Information Hotline
+32 6368 0585 FREE CALL)
  • The Japan Visa Information Hotline is an English speaking, 24/7 service for general information about visa procedures to enter Japan.
  • Calls will be charged at local Belgian rates and may vary per provider.



  • Dear travelers to Japan: It is recommended to take out an overseas travel insurance
  • An overseas travel insurance makes you feel secure, even in emergencies, and you can enjoy your trip.
  • Medical expenses can be very high in Japan. If the travel insurance you purchased offers sufficient coverage of treatment costs, you can receive treatment without concern.
  • It is recommended to have an overseas travel insurance with travel support for hospital referrals, medical interpretation, and cashless medical service.
  •  👉 Planning a trip to Japan? Download the Japan Official Travel App! 📱


  • Criteria of Visa Issuance

A Japanese visa will be issued to an applicant, when he/she meets all of the following requirements and if the issuance is considered to be appropriate.

  • The applicant possesses a valid passport and is entitled to re-entry to a country of his/her nationality or a country of his/her residence.
  • All submitted documents are authentic, completed and satisfactory.
  • The activities to be engaged in Japan/the civil status or the position of the applicant/the period of stay meet the requirements for the status of residence and the period of stay stipulated in the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act. (Cabinet Order No.319 of 1951. hereinafter referred to as the “Immigration Control Act”)
  • The applicant do not fall under any of the items of Article 5, Paragraph 1 of the Immigration Control Act.

Please note that we do not handle questions relating to consular matters through e-mail. You can contact the Embassy by telephone directly (02/500.05.80) during office hours.

  • Belgian nationals

If you have the Belgian nationality, you do not need a visa if your period of stay in Japan is 90 days or less and if you are not going to be engaged in income-earning activities (i.e. Sightseeing, recreation, amateur sports, visiting relatives, short-term study, inspection tour, participation in unpaid lectures or meetings, attending a conference, short-term business or similar non-remunerative activities.)

When undergoing landing examination during passport control in Japan, please be advised to carry the following documents :

  1. a valid passport (this is NOT the Belgian ID card ! Contact the communal service of your place of residence for more information.)
  2. a fixed-date, confirmed return ticket (E-tickets are also accepted) or onward journey ticket
  3. relevant documentation concerning your itinerary (i.e. hotel reservations, conference details…) and proof of sufficient funds

Apart from Belgian citizens, also some other nationalities are not required to have a visa if their period of stay in Japan is 90 days or less and if they will not be engaged in remunerative activities. Please refer to the ’List of Countries and Regions That Have Visa Exemption Arrangements with Japan on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan for more information.


Permission to enter Japan remains at the discretion of the Japanese immigration authority and there is no guarantee of landing permission being granted, even for visa exempt nationals.


If you are still unsure about whether you do or do not need to have a visa, do not hesitate and contact the Consular Service. (Opening Hours, Holidays and contact details)

For a detailed guide to Japanese Visa and the respective application procedures, refer to the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan :

note1: additional documents may be requested. Contact the Consular Section of the Embassy of Japan in Belgium for more information

note2: identity photographs for the visa application form must be taken within the last 6 months before the day of application and must be of excellent quality.
Accepted sizes : (45mm X 45mm) or (45mm X 35mm)

photographs that do not fall within the conditions above will be refused.

do not staple your identity photograph to the visa application form.

note3: all documents supporting the visa application must be prepared on A-4 size paper.

All documents handed in at the moment of application will not be returned after the visa procedure has been finished.

  • Application procedure

Always contact the Consular Section of the Embassy of Japan in Belgium by telephone before applying. (Opening Hours, Holidays and contact details)

Apart from the visa application documents you will be requested to show your Belgian identity card or your Belgian residency card when applying your visa.

When applying for a visa, the applicant must submit the necessary documents to the Consular Service in person.

  • Subject to the beforehand permission of the Consular Service of the Embassy of Japan, due to reasons related to health restrictions, visa application by proxy is possible if one is in possession of a power of attorney. Moreover, even if such be the case, persons who can apply will be limited and restricted to close family members or related persons only.

Applications sent through the mail will NOT be accepted.
Currently, an appointment is necessary to apply for a visa at our services. Book an appointment via the online appointment registration site ( ) of the Embassy of Japan. Walk-ins without appointment will not be admitted to enter the Embassy premises. 
After application, if all the submitted documents prove to be in order, the visa procedure takes  five working days. Some specific visa procedures may take longer and, if this should be the case, you will be informed of this fact when you submit your documents.

Due to possible procedural delays you are strongly advised to apply for your visa at least one month before your departure.

  • What is a Certificate of Eligibility ?

If an applicant wishes to work, study, or live in Japan, he/she should in principle first obtain a Certificate of Eligibility. The Certificate of Eligibility is issued by the Ministry of Justice in Japan . To obtain a Certificate of Eligibility, the applicant must ask a sponsor in Japan (an employer, spouse, school, etc.) to contact the local immigration office and make an application on his/her behalf. The application cannot be made by the applicant himself.

Once a certificate of Eligibility has been obtained, a visa for Japan can be issued if the applicant hands in the following documents to the Consular Service :

  1. one visa application form , completed and signed
  2. a valid passport with at least one blank page
  3. one passport-sized photograph (accepted dimensions : (45mm X 45mm) or (45mm X 35mm) ) of excellent quality with a white background (taken within the last 6 months)
  4. Certificate of Eligibility (original OR one copy of both sides)
  5. Belgian residency card (in case of foreign national residing in Belgium)
  • Immigration Procedures

Outline of New Immigration Procedures: Requirements for the Provision of Personal Information

On 24th May 2006, a new law amending parts of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act was promulgated and entered into force on November 20, 2007. The revised law contains new provisions for the establishment of a framework for preventative measures against acts of terrorism. As part of this framework, a new anti-terrorism measure is to be implemented, which requires the submission of personal identification information at immigration control. Under the new immigration procedures, when foreign nationals are applying for landing, fingerprints and a facial photograph will be taken after which an immigration control officer shall conduct an examination for landing. In the event of any foreign national, who is required by the new law to be fingerprinted and photographed, refusing to submit to these new provisions, that person will not be permitted to enter Japan, and will be required to leave the country.

Please see the Immigration Bureau of Japan's website for details:

  • Guide to living in Japan

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan has prepared a helpful guide for who will reside in Japan for an extended period of time.

You can download the guide here:



● Have you found a dead link ? Contact the Consular Section of the Embassy of Japan (02/500.05.80) so we can update our site. (Opening hours and closing dates )●